I am a UKRI funded PhD researcher at the Centre for Digital Music (C4DM) at the School for Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Queen Mary University of London and part of the Media and Arts Technology Centre for Doctoral Training . My research is titled Sketching Sounds: Using sound-shape associations to build a sketch-based sound synthesiser and it is routed in Music Computing, Human Computer Interaction, Computer Vision and Human Perception and Cognition. I am designing and conducting user studies to create a substantial dataset of sound-sketches and use accomplished statistical and novel machine learning methods for analysis.
Humans are surprisingly good at creating mental images of sound. However, sound-design tools are not always intuitive when it comes to realising an idea in a straightforward way.
When describing a sound, we often refer to associations with other areas like colour, movement or light. This project looks deeper into how people express their sound ideas through shapes and forms.
These findings are used to build a system that produces sound based on a simple sketch input. This approach allows anyone to explore, find and produce sounds in a simple and direct way.
You can have a look at this GitHub repository for more detailed information or check out my publications.
- AI as mediator between composers, sound designers, and creative media producers - position paper accepted at Integrating AI in Human-Human Collaborative Ideation workshop at the ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing System in 2023
- SketchSynth: cross-modal control of sound synthesis - paper accepted at the EvoMUSART conference in 2023
- Seeing Sounds, Hearing Shapes: a gamified study to evaluate sound-sketches - paper presented at the International Computer Music Conference (ICMC) in 2022
- Sketching Sounds: Using sound-shape associations to build a sketch-based sound synthesiser - research overview presented at the Digital Music Research Network (DMRN) workshop in 2021
- Sketching Sounds: an exploratory study on sound-shape associations - paper presented at the International Computer Music Conference (ICMC) in 2021
- Representation of musical timbre through visual sketching - poster presented at the International Conference for Music Perception and Cognition (ICMPC) in 2021